Features in the Initial Release
- Global streamed terrain and ground textures, allowing flight anywhere on the globe, and without bounds.
- Modern, realistic 6 DOF aerodynamic model, capturing the handling and performance of a typical modern hang glider
- Ground effect and wind gradient models
- Atmospheric model based on historical soundings (atmospheric measurements) from any day and location.
- Daily thermal cycles, where ground heating begins at sunrise, builds during the day and mellows in the late afternoon.
- Detailed, three-dimensional thermal circulation models, capturing the dynamic nature of real-life thermals that drift, merge, grow and die depending on local wind, atmospheric temperature and humidity.
- Thermal visualization, to graphically show you where the thermals are found, and to check on your centering ability
- Variable Geometry (in flight control of sail tension) impacts glider performance, handling, and stability.
- AI piloted companion hang gliders to fly with, help mark thermals, and allow you to practice flying in traffic.
- Support for both flying while seated at your desktop using your VR hand controllers, or while hanging in a harness and A-frame (control bar) simulator.
- Ability to go upright before landing, to control glide and enhance your ability to flare for a stand-up landing
- Basic audio-visual variometer (electronic flight instrument) displaying altitude, instantaneous and average climb or descent rate, temperature, time of day, and airspeed with either Metric (SI) or Imperials units.
- Beautiful 3-dimensional volumetric clouds with user-defined base altitude, depth and coverage
- Ability to define the time and date for a simulated flight, controlling the sun position and length of the day.
- Soaring birds
- A site tour mode, allowing you to rapidly navigate around your flying site while your flight is paused.
- Optional markers to help you find the landing zone when you are flying an unfamiliar site.
- Wind indicators (windsocks and streamers) that respond to the passage of thermals to help you correctly time your launch
- Graphical depiction of known rotor regions that dynamically update as wind direction is changed.
- User defined pilot gender
- Autopilot mode to help you learn to control the wings
Glider Models Included
Beginner: Wills Wing Falcon 4 is a great wing for beginners and advanced pilots alike. the easy handling, launch and landing characteristics, and its ability to circle in small thermals makes it an excellent choice for light wind days
Intermediate: Wills Wing U2 is the high performance king posted intermediate glider. It is a large step up in performance over the Falcon, but requires more skill to fly, because of the lag in response to pilot input, and the faster flight speeds.
Advanced: Wills Wing T3 is a advanced, competition class topless (kingpostless) glider. It has a performance edge over the U2, especially at high speeds. It features a carbon fiber crossbar, basetube, and keel stinger, carbon outboard leading edges and sprogs. The T3 was introduced in version 1.30.
Flying Sites Included in the Current Release
- 300′ Ed Levin Park, CA
- 600′ Ed Levin Park, California
- 1750′ Ed Levin Park, California
- Mission Ridge, California
- Fort Funston, California
- Mt. Murchison, New Zealand
- Yosemite National Park, California
- Ellenville, New York
- Slide Mountain. Nevada
- Mount Diablo, California
- Lookout Mountain Flight Park, Georgia Aerotow Launch
- Morningside Flight Park, New Hampshire
- Monroe Peak, Utah
- Pacific Valley California (Big Sur)
- Owens Valley (horseshoe Launch), California
- Crestline, California
- Point of the Mountain, North and South Side, Utah
- Lakeview, Oregon
- Dunlap, California
- Mount Tam, California
- Telluride, Colorado
- St. Hilaire, France
- Wharton (Cowboy UP), TX
- Blackgang Run, UK
Features Coming Soon
- Multiplayer support. Connect to a game server, and team fly or compete with your mates, using your virtual radio to coordinate.
- User defined pilot weight.
- Automatic log book to track your flight time and progress.
- Ability to write .icg log files of your virtual flights, to review in web aps.
There is a long list of features we will be adding to the simulator in the future. Some of these will be add-ons (for additional cost) and others will be included in free software updates.
- Action Cameras to capture your epic virtual flights
- Radios to communicate with your flying buddies in multiplayer mode
- Drogue chutes to help you maneuver into small landing zones
- Customizable sail colors
- Emergency Parachute should you need it.
- Advanced competition flight decks (Vario, GPS map, altimeter, airspeed, McCready speed-to-fly, wind, timer, final glide computer)
- Choose from cocoon, front-entry pod, or single point race harness.
- User defined flying site: Enter coordinates of your local secret site.
Planned Future Flying Sites
- Rio de Janeiro
- Elsinore, California
- Torrey Pines, California
- Valle de Bravo, Mexico
- Dolomites, Col Rodella Canazei Italy
- Annecy, France
- Niederhorn, Interlaken, Switzerland (speed run)
- Kossen, Austria
- Eliminator, California
- McClure, California
- Marina Beach California (Dune Soaring)
- Lanzarote , Spain
- Monte Cucco, Italy
- Mount Seven, Golden BC Canada
- Stanwell Park, Australia
- Makapuu, HI
- Hull Mountain, CA